To achieve the broad goals, the Vice President for Research and Community Engagement (VPRCE) Office of Mekelle University has reformed (restructured) the previous two directorate offices into six:
- Research Development and Partnership Directorate,
- Postgraduate Research Directorate,
- Community Engagement and Consultancy Services Directorate,
- Technology Transfer and University Industry Linkage Directorate,
- Publication and Documentation Directorate; and
- Research and Community Engagement Facility Directorate.
Under each Directorate offices, there are at least two officers to perform and manage specific tasks of research, community engagement and consultancy services and technology development and university industry linkages of the University.