In Ethiopia, The first veterinary faculty was established at Debre-Zeit in 1979, and till 2003 it was the only such faculty in the country. In 2003, the then faculty of Veterinary Medicine here in Mekelle University was established as a consequence of government insistence on the need for more trained veterinarians in order to be able to promote the export of meat, hides, and skins to the European Union and other countries. Over the past few years, the college has been contributing its share in meeting the additional demand for qualified professional veterinary graduates.
Mission of the College
- Develop High Quality Academic Training Programs: Promote the art and science of veterinary medicine through acquisition, application and dissemination of scientific advances that help in diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control of diseases and maintain the health of animals and human beings.
- Perform Pertinent Applied Research: Engage in applied and basic science research that can support the development endeavors of the country and advance learning through the extension of the frontiers of knowledge and creative activities,
- Promote Community Services
- Enhance productivity of animals through latest methods of animal breeding, nutrition and modern management and biotechnological techniques
- Offer continuing education and training program linked with professional upgrading of field and academic staff for the benefit of the region and country at large and create a knowledge-based society drawing strength from scientific excellence and institutional capabilities.