About Mekelle University
Mekelle University is found at the town of Mekelle in Tigray region of Northern Ethiopia, at a distance of 783 Kilometers from the Ethiopian capital. The merger the two former colleges: Mekelle Business College and Mekelle University College established the University in May, 2000 by the Government of Ethiopia (Council of Ministers, Regulations No. 61/1999 of Article 3) as an autonomous higher education institution. The two colleges have their own historical developments after beginning from scratch, and have also experienced exhausting ascends and descends, with voluminous relocations from place to place.
Mekelle University in Numbers
- 7 campuses
- 7 Colleges
- 9 Institutes
- 9 Schools
- 57 Departments
- 30,000 studnets
- 8,000 employees
- 122 Undergraduate programs
- 204 MA/MSc programs
- 53 PhD programs
- 2 Subspecialty Certificate Fellowship Program
- 11 Specialty Certificate programs
- 3 Postgraduate diploma and Certificate programs
Mekelle University is a research-intensive institution pursuing excellence in research and innovation, teaching-learning, and community engagement with a commitment to contribute to the advancement of knowledge, economic growth and social welfare to national and international communities.
The University’s commitment to pursuing excellence in all its core and support businesses is reflected in the major values expressed below:
- Excellence in service delivery: we are committed to excel in the delivery of our core and support services.
- Dynamism: we keep track of on-going changes in our environment and proactively act to grow & sustain with new developments.
- Academic freedom: we are committed to upholding the long-standing value of academic freedom.
- Good governance: we are determined to ensure good governance in all our dealings with all our customers and stakeholders.
- Sensitivity to cross-cutting issues: we give due value and respect to cross-cutting issues including gender, environment, health and diversity.
- Dependence in our roots: we value the indigenous knowledge and technology of our ancestors and aim to integrate these with the contemporary for a better future and destiny.
Mekelle University President
Fana Hagos (PhD): MU President
Academic Vice President
Dr. Abderlkadir Kedir
Vice President for Support Services
Dr. Tekeste Berhanu
Vice President for Research & Community Services (Acting)
Dr. Birhanu Hadush
Chief Executive Director for College of Health Sciences Ayder Comprehensive Specialized Hospital
Sientfic Director for Ethiopian Institute of Technology - Mekelle (EiT-M)
Dr. Haddush Goitom